Boiler system malfunction likely cause of carbon monoxide incident at Winnipeg care home

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services says firefighters dealt with a carbon monoxide incident at a Personal Care Home on Novavista Drive Tuesday morning.

WFPS responded to a carbon monoxide alarm at 11:27 a.m. Manitoba Hydro also responded to the call and measured readings of around 1,000 parts per million (ppm) in one area of the building.

From the readings, Manitoba Hydro immediately shut down the air systems to prevent the carbon monoxide from spreading throughout the building.

When WFPS arrived at the scene, crews began working to ventilate the building and lower the ppm to zero.

Firefighters say none of the tenants were exhibiting any symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. Every tenant was assessed as a precautionary measure.

Manitoba Hydro remained at the scene to investigate the problem, and says, “it is believed that the cause of the carbon monoxide build-up was due to a malfunction with the boiler system.”

Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous. Firefighters encourage everyone to install a carbon monoxide alarm on every floor of their home, adding, if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, go outside and call 911.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today