Area of interest at Prairie Green landfill clear of new waste since June: committee
Posted January 24, 2023 1:50 pm.
Last Updated January 24, 2023 2:07 pm.
The committee tasked with determining the feasibility of searching a Winnipeg-area landfill for remains of two Indigenous women says an area of interest has been free of new waste since the summer.
The Indigenous-led committee and the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs say no additional waste has been deposited in that section of the Prairie Green landfill since June.
That means there would be less waste to remove if a search was conducted.
Winnipeg police believe the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myron are at Prairie Green.
WATCH: Continued protests at the Brady Landfill
Police allege Harris, Myran, Rebecca Contois, and a fourth victim known as Buffalo Woman were all killed by the same man.
Jeremy Skibicki, is charged with four counts of first-degree murder.
The partial remains of Contois were found in June at Brady Road, a separate city-run landfill.
The landfill feasibility committee met with the owner of Prairie Green on Jan. 19 to discuss the status of operations at the privately run landfill.
- First Nations group expects landfill feasibility study to take months to finish
- Red Dresses draw attention to calls for search of Manitoba landfills
- Winnipeg landfill to reopen while talks of searching for Indigenous women continue
- Volunteers search to identify Buffalo Woman
Police previously said they would not conduct a search of the landfill, citing the passage of time and a large volume of material deposited at the site.
After backlash, the WPS later said it would participate in the feasibility committee.
A funding proposal has been submitted to the federal government by the committee for the feasibility study and it expects to receive an answer soon.
The feasibility study itself is expected to be completed by the end of March.
—With files from The Canadian Press