Ottawa adds $1.8M for First Nations consultations in northern Manitoba

As Ottawa pushes to fast-track major projects across the country, new federal funding announced in Winnipeg aims to help First Nations in Northern Manitoba take a bigger role in consultations. Mitchell Ringos reports.

As Ottawa pushes to fast-track major projects across the country, new federal funding announced in Winnipeg aims to help First Nations in northern Manitoba take a bigger role in consultations tied to development on their traditional territories.

Federal Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Rebecca Alty travelled to Winnipeg Thursday to announce $1.8 million in additional funding for consultation support in northern Manitoba and British Columbia.

“We have to come together to build in partnership and build an economy that is stronger, more resilient and more independent,” Minister Alty said.

The funding is part of a $10.1-million federal commitment over three years through the federal initiative on consultation. Ottawa says it also builds on a separate $40-million fund announced in Budget 2025 to support Indigenous participation in consultations tied to major projects.

“Today’s announcement is about consultation resource centres that will be Indigenous-led and provide support to the rights holder,” Alty said. “So consultation would continue between federal government and rights holders, but they will have support from the consultation centres.”

Federal Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Rebecca Alty at a press conference in Winnipeg, May 21, 2026. (Nick Johnston, CityNews)

Federal ministers say funding will help communities participate in discussions surrounding major development projects, including transportation corridors, critical minerals and the future of the Port of Churchill.

“This is our way of engaging in early engagement conversations that will help lead to whether this project gets greenlit or not, because the people in this room need to be the decision-makers,” said Rebecca Chartrand, the minister responsible for the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency.

“We did propose that the 11 Sky Nations could be the plus in Churchill plus,” added Grand Chief Walter Wastesicoot of Keewatin Tribal Council. “We want meaningful engagement and consultation where we sit at the tables as partners and decision-makers, not an after thought.”

Grand Chief Walter Wastesicoot at a press conference in Winnipeg, May 21, 2026. (Nick Johnston, CityNews)

The announcement comes as the federal government looks at broader reforms aimed at speeding up approvals for major infrastructure and resource projects across Canada, which saw some pushback from AFN National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak earlier this week.

“Yesterday evening we were meeting with Indigenous governments in Manitoba towards that,” Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said.

Premier Kinew said Thursday that collaboration between governments and Indigenous communities will be critical if northern development projects are going to move forward successfully.

“We will continue to work together because that’s the way we build up Canada,” he said. “If we want things like the Port of Churchill to happen quickly, we can’t do it being divided; we need everyone working in the same direction.”

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Winnipeg as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today