Manitoba’s Peguis First Nation calls for military aid as flooding threatens community
Posted April 9, 2026 2:50 pm.
Last Updated April 9, 2026 3:00 pm.
A First Nation prone to flooding and the Manitoba government are calling for help from the Canadian military as spring conditions are putting the community at risk of flooding again.
Peguis First Nation Chief Stan Bird says the community, north of Winnipeg, could use assistance from the Canadian Armed Forces to provide technical support to prepare for the floodwaters.
The province’s spring flood outlook indicates the Interlake region, which Peguis is part of, is facing an increased flood risk due to large amounts of snow, a delayed melt and an increased likelihood of rapid spring runoff.
The First Nation has been advised that if conditions remain unfavourable that it could see water levels similar to the 2022 flood, considered one of the worst in the community and one that led to a full-scale evacuation.
“Based on the ever-changing information, the Peguis flood centre had been preparing for a moderate event,” Bird said in a video message posted to Facebook. “We will now escalate out flood effort to prepare for a flood that is predicted to be more severe.”
READ MORE: Past Manitoba flooding
Bird says the community has already begun breaking up ice along the river and sandbagging efforts are underway.
“This effort is being hampered by extensive snowfall and changing weather pattern. Despite this, our efforts continue.”
Peguis First Nation has endured persistent flooding over the years, resulting in damage to infrastructure and housing. Since 2000, on average, Peguis has suffered a flood every two years.
The flood of 2022, which resulted in the long-term evacuation of hundreds of people, was “catastrophic,” Bird said Thursday. The chief says some of those residents are still displaced “to this day.”
“While we must remain hopeful, the updates are telling us otherwise,” said Bird, who is calling for an permanent flood solution.