Mother charged with death of one-year-old after exposure to fentanyl

Winnipeg Police have made an arrest after a one-year-old child died from being exposed to fentanyl. 

On December 29th,, 2022, police were called by a woman saying her child became unresponsive at her home in the 300 block of Sherbrook Street. A family member was providing emergency medical care until the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) arrived.

WFPS brought the child to hospital in critical condition where he was pronounced dead.

The Child Abuse Unit’s investigation learned through an autopsy and toxicology reports that the child’s death was from high levels of fentanyl and carfentanyl intoxication, exposed in the home.

On Thursday, the 33-year-old mother was arrested after being charged with Failing to Provide the Necessaries of Life by the Manitoba Prosecution Service. She was released via an undertaking as mandated by the Criminal Code.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today