Winnipeg teens allegedly robbed at gunpoint in string of firearm incidents

Charges have been laid in three separate alleged firearm incidents in Winnipeg across a 12-hour period between Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

The string of alleged incidents began Monday around 5:45 p.m.


Winnipeg police say two teenagers were robbed at gunpoint by two other teenagers on Powers Street.

Officers allege the teens were walking down the street when the two suspects, who were standing in the front yard of a home, called them over.

The suspects then allegedly pointed a gun and bear spray. One of the victims says they were struck in the face with the gun, while the other victim says they were punched. They did not require medical attention at the time.

Police say the suspects robbed the victims before going into the home. A police release did not indicate what was stolen.

Officers found the suspects in the back lane behind the home, but the gun was not recovered.

Police charged a 15-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy.


Later that night, around 11 p.m., officers say they located a 35-year-old man armed with a gun near Main Street and Higgins Avenue in Chinatown after reports he was waving the weapon around in a busy pedestrian area.

When officers told the suspect to drop his weapon, he complied. Police say the gun then fired accidentally when it landed. Nobody was inured.

Police say they recovered an improvised gun from a sawed-off pellet gun and 18 rounds of .22 calibre ammunition.

The suspect is facing various firearm-related charges and was detained in custody.


Early Tuesday morning, around 5 a.m., officers with the Winnipeg Police Service say they received a report of a man with a rifle on Notre Dame Street near Rue St Joseph.

Police arrested him shortly after he returned home. They seized a bolt-action rifle and two 12-gauge shotguns from the residence.

A 44-year-old was charged with various firearm-related offences and remains in police custody.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today