Police arrest 6th suspect in Winnipeg extortion, arson investigation

A man wanted Canada-wide in connection with last summer’s extortion and arson of multiple Winnipeg businesses was arrested in Toronto earlier this month.

The Winnipeg Police Service says 41-year-old Jermaine Weekes was arrested May 1. He has since been charged with two counts of extortion and remains detained in custody.

Weekes is the sixth suspect arrested in the investigation. The suspects range in age from 26 to 69.

A seventh suspect, 29-year-old Farhan Nabil, is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for arson and extortion. Winnipeg police believe he is outside of the city.

“We will find you,” Insp. Jennifer McKinnon with the WPS major crimes division told a Jan. 26 press conference.

Farhan Nabil is wanted Canada-wide in a Winnipeg police arson and extortion investigation. (Courtesy: Winnipeg Police Service)

The WPS says all the alleged crimes happened between July 16 and July 23, 2025, by an “organized group of individuals.”

Authorities say a warehouse on Spruce Street and two convenience stores on Selkirk Avenue were the target of arson.

RELATED: Ontario man accused of orchestrating extortions, arsons of Winnipeg convenience stores

They allege three convenience stores – one on Main Street and two on Selkirk Avenue – were either extorted for money in exchange for protection from arson or threatened with extortion.

And they say a business on Portage Avenue reported a theft of $120 in merchandise during that time.

The WPS major crimes unit is continuing to investigate.

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Winnipeg as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today