More stranded travelers set to return to Winnipeg
Posted February 26, 2026 5:46 pm.
Last Updated February 26, 2026 7:10 pm.
More Winnipeg travelers who are stranded in Puerto Vallarta are set to return home.
Katharina Stieffenhofer spent three weeks in Mexico and was gearing up to travel back to Winnipeg, only to arrive at the airport to find out her flight was canceled.
“There was a long line up for the WestJet flight. Nothing was moving, and then after a while, several hours, all flights were canceled, and everything went on lockdown,” said Stieffenhofer.
After cartel violence erupted in Mexico earlier this week, Stieffenhoffer wasn’t able to book a flight home and was stranded as the community she was staying in was on lockdown.
But what followed was a lengthy wait at the airport and an unsuccessful attempt to fly back.
“We were turned back, saying that the road was closed. We had to detour. And then, closer to Puerto Vallarta we came across the first burned-down cars. We noticed smoke rising,” she explained.
Thursday afternoon, Stieffenhofer was waiting at the airport gate to board her flight and told CityNews, she’s optimistic she will get home.
“But I am also a bit shell-shocked. All of this was so unexpected, so unusual, and even traumatizing. I will believe that I am on the plane when I am on the plane. And I will believe I am at home when I am actually landing.”
As of Thursday, flights to and from Puerto Vallarta were scheduled on time, according to the Winnipeg Airport Authorities’ website.