‘The sorrow is deep’: Memorial for Winnipeg soccer player, 22, fatally shot after tournament

Posted July 21, 2024 3:15 pm.
Last Updated July 22, 2024 3:39 pm.
The 22-year-old Winnipeg soccer player killed earlier this month is being remembered as a dedicated family member who gave back to his community.
Mohamed Yusuf Abdullahi was fatally shot in the parking lot of the Ralph Cantafio Soccer Complex July 13.
BACKGROUND: 22-year-old killed in shooting at Winnipeg soccer complex
Police say Abdullahi had just finished playing soccer at the Canada African Cup of Nations tournament and was exiting the event when he was shot. They have described it as a targeted event.
At a memorial Saturday, family, friends, and teammates returned to the site of the shooting to share stories and pay tribute to his memory.

“His love for soccer brought joy and unite to many of us,” said Gode Katembo, president of Canada African Cup of Nations.
“Today we remember not just a talented player, but a remarkable human being.”
Abdullahi’s teammate Jean-Paul Murhabazi spoke of his friend’s commitment to his community, highlighted by his coaching of young children.
“He organized a five-week soccer program for Somalian children,” he said.

After fleeing the civil war in Somalia, Abdullahi’s family moved to Canada in 2014. The 22-year-old was described as a dedicated son and brother.
On the night of his death, Abdullahi ate dinner with his father. “That was the last time they embraced,” Murhabazi said.
“We are really depressed, the sorrow is deep,” added Rene Tondi-Simen, a board member with African Communities of Manitoba.

Saturday’s memorial also brought with it calls for unity.
“What matters is to fight against violence, it’s not a way of solving anything,” said Tondi-Simen. “Please learn that. Keep that in your mind.”
It was a sentiment echoed by Manitoba Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara.
“We are one province and it is critical that we root that in peace and in unity,” said Asagwara, who is also Manitoba’s deputy premier.
“I grieve the person that would make such a violent decision and I wonder what do we have to do to show that person enough love that they do not make that decision.”

Following the shooting, organizers decided not to suspend the Canada African Cup of Nations tournament. Katembo says that decision was made after consulting with family and community leaders.
Katembo adds the tournament is honouring Abdullahi’s memory by retiring his number 13 jersey moving forward.
“(We) honour him by continuing to play the game of football, the game that he loved with so much passion, so much joy that he brought to every game,” the tournament president said.
An online fundraiser for funeral expenses and to support Abdullahi’s family has raised more than $3,400 of its $20,000 as of Monday afternoon.