OTTAWA — Global Affairs Canada says the federal government is “very relieved” that two Canadian women who were abducted in Ghana earlier this month have been rescued.
A spokesman for the department says consular officials are providing assistance to the two women and their families after what he called their “harrowing experiences.”
Guillaume Berube says no further details will be released.
Ghana’s information ministry says national security operatives completed the rescue mission in the country’s south-central Ashanti region early Wednesday.
“The holding place of the victims was subsequently surrounded just before 5:00 a.m. this morning, and by 5:15 a.m., point team had breached the premises,” Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said, adding shots were fired during the rescue.
According to the information minister, five Ghanians and three Nigerians are under arrest. One suspect is said to have sustained minor injuries.
The ministry has sought to assure travellers that the West African nation remains safe despite a recent uptick in kidnappings for ransom. The country has been considered one of the safest in the region for foreign travellers.
The country’s national police force said last Thursday that the two Canadian women, aged 19 and 20, were volunteers with a non-governmental organization.