MONTREAL (CITYNEWS) – Hundreds of people were forced out into the cold this morning at a Lasalle elementary school after dozens of students fell suddenly ill.
First responders confirmed 43 people have been taken to hospital following a suspected carbon monoxide leak at the Montreal school.
Please be advised the MUHC is currently responding to an emergency situation. More details to follow. Members of the public with non-urgent care needs may wish to call Info Santé at 811 or consider visiting the other hospital ERs or clinics: https://t.co/dSZNMQhcZ8
— MUHC (@cusm_muhc) January 14, 2019
Urgences-santé received a call from Ecole des Découvreurs shortly after 11 a.m. with reports of kids vomiting. The sick students–all between six and 13 years old–said their heads were spinning and there was a funny smell.
An ambulance service spokesman said 35 children and eight adults complained of symptoms including dizziness and nausea Monday.
Officials believe this was the result of carbon monoxide poisoning and the building was evacuated. Fifteen students and a teacher were taken to hospital to be treated and another 35 are being looked over at a building near the school.
A physician at Montreal Children’s Hospital said patients from the school were in stable condition and under observation.
It was unclear whether the children affected were all in the same classroom.
The school was completely evacuated, and the other students are safe in a neighbouring school, the school board says.
Some 300 students and staff were housed in nearby transit buses while parents were called to come to collect the students.
Emergency personnel has the area around the school cordoned off until further notice.
With files from The Canadian Press