Loading articles...

3 dead, multiple injured following bus crash in Ottawa

Last Updated Jan 12, 2019 at 12:05 am CST

OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – Ottawa Police confirm three have died and multiple people have been injured following a bus crash at the city’s Westboro Station Friday afternoon.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said more than 20 people had been injured in the collision, noting some of them remain in critical condition. Officials say a total of 25 patients were taken to hospital, 14 in critical condition and 11 in serious condition.

During a press conference, Ottawa Police said the bus driver had been taken into custody.

“The driver of the bus, there was a requirement for us to arrest her at the scene and she’s been transported at our headquarters for interviewing,” said Chief Police Charles Bordeleau.

(Credit: Patrick Carriere/Twitter)

The incident took place around 3:50 p.m. local time. The double-decker bus appears to have crashed into the roof that hangs over the platform at the station.

“The Ottawa Police Service Collision Investigation Unit is also on scene and will be investigating this incident,” read an earlier release from police.

A man who lives across the street from the bus station says he knew there would be deaths when he saw the aftermath of the crash.

He says the bus hit the platform and half of the top floor on the right side had crashed into the shelter roof.

“From my vantage point, you could see the entire front portion of the bus had been demolished and or cut away. Fire fighters were were on ladders cutting out the top floor windows,” he said.

The body in charge of public transit in Canada’s Capital says buses are being detoured as a result of the incident. OC Transpo says it is working with emergency crews and will provide more information when it becomes available.

People are being asked to avoid the area as crews help those who have been injured.

“I was shocked to hear of this horrific incident at Westboro Station,” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson on Twitter. “My first thoughts are with those who have been injured and their families.”

He continues to ask residents to stay away from the area and let first responders do their work.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford took it to Twitter to send a message to the victims and their families.

Fire Chief Kim Ayotte also shared his condolences. “My thoughts are with the many lives disrupted tragically this afternoon,” Ayotte said. “I encourage all who need to discuss this event to reach out to peers or other supports.”

-With files from The Canadian Press